City Council Gives Preliminary Plan Approval for Mixed Use Development on 135th Street
By a vote of 7-1, Monday night, the Leawood City Council gave Preliminary Plan approval to a new mixed-use development located south of 135th Street and west of Kenneth Road.
Members of the City Council received over 30 letters of support from members of the community that adjoin the project. Other key features of the project include:
- Facilitates the connection of 137th street from Kenneth road to Chadwick to the west.
- Phase one includes approximately 117 attached villas with an estimated price of $600,000 per unit. These villas will occupy the south side of the development that is adjacent to other existing residential areas.
- The plans for phases 2 and 3 include multifamily residential over retail, senior living, and other retail and office buildings.
- All overhead electrical lines would be buried
- An additional lane would be added on the eastbound section of 135th Street.
This project, once it obtains final plan approval and begins construction, would be the second new project along 135th for 2018. Just this past month, Element Hotel began construction just to the west of Gaslight Grill.